Maintenance Law

What is Maintenance?

Maintenance is financial support (money) paid by a person for the benefit of a dependent spouse/civil partner and/or dependent children. Spouses/civil partners are required to maintain each other according to their means and needs. Parents, whether married or not, are responsible for the maintenance of their dependant children.

If the parties cannot reach an agreement about maintenance an application can be made to the court for a maintenance order.

A spouse/civil partner applying to the court for maintenance must establish that the other spouse/civil partner has failed to provide such maintenance as is proper in the circumstances. The court decides what maintenance is proper in the circumstances of each individual case.

There is generally no responsibility on either party in a cohabitating relationship to pay maintenance where a relationship comes to an end. However, a ‘qualified cohabitant’ claiming to be financially dependent on an ex-partner may apply to the court for a ‘Compensatory Maintenance Order’.

Both parents have a responsibility to support their children financially. This applies to all parents, whether married, separated, living together or if they have never lived together. The parent with custody of the children has to take care of them and look after their day-to-day needs. The parent who does not have custody usually has to pay money to the parent with custody. This is to help cover the costs of taking care of the children.

A cohabitant of a person who is a parent, or a cohabitant of a person who has the day-to-day care (loco parentis) of a child may have to financially maintain the child, if that cohabitant is a guardian and is not the parent.

Parents, whether married or not, can apply for maintenance from the other parent for their children. A parent, legal guardian, health board or any person holding legal status in relation to a dependent child can apply for maintenance for the child.

A spouse/civil partner can apply for maintenance for themselves even if they are living with the other spouse/civil partner.

A dependant child is a child under eighteen years of age, or a child under 23 who is in full time education, or a child of any age who is dependant on its parents due to disability.

Áine McGuigan

Our Family Law Expert

Áine advises clients in relation to all aspects of family law including Separation Agreements, Judicial Separation and Divorce Proceedings. Her approach is to provide step by step guidance and support to clients in achieving the best outcome for them in difficult circumstances Áine can offer sensitive yet sound advice to help guide clients through the financial and legal implications and towards a solution that will allow the parties to move forward with their lives.

Contact Us Today!

Fill out the form below to request a call with one of our Family Law experts today.